Surrey train stabbing: police get 12 more hours to question suspect | UK news

Detectives have been given another 12 hours to question a man arrested over the fatal stabbing of a 51-year-old father on a London-bound train on Friday.

The 35-year-old was arrested in the early hours of Saturday, along with a 27-year-old woman, accused of assisting an offender, after a manhunt led police to a flat in Farnham.

Lee Pomeroy, from Guildford, had been taking his son, 14, on a trip to London when he was stabbed to death in what relatives described as a “horrific and pointless attack”.

Lee Pomeroy was stabbed to death on a Guildford to London train.

Lee Pomeroy was stabbed to death on a Guildford to London train. Photograph: British Transport Police Handout/EPA

British Transport Police said on Sunday that investigators had been granted another 12 hours to question the arrested pair. Both remain in custody.

Describing Pomeroy as a “devoted family man”, his family said in a statement issued on Saturday: “Lee took his son on a trip to London hoping to spend some quality time with him which was cut short by an horrific and pointless attack. Lee would have had his birthday today but did not get to see his presents.

“He was an honest, bright person who loved music very much. He knew history and art and was a bachelor of science in maths. He was a devoted family man and did everything for his family.

“He was a loving husband and father. He will be deeply missed by all his family.”

He lived in Guildford with his wife, Svetlana Pomeroy, 50, and their son. The couple reportedly both worked for Datronix Systems Ltd, an IT consultancy, where he was a programmer and director.

He and his son had boarded the 12.58 train service between Guildford and London Waterloo at London Road station on Friday afternoon, alongside the arrested man.

According to witnesses the men were involved in a three-to-four minute row, moving through the carriage and into another before the attack.

The suspected killer fled the train at Clandon station. The train continued to Horsley station where police and paramedics attended.

The suspect was arrested on suspicion of murder at 6am on Saturday at a flat near Farnham hospital, along with the 27-year-old woman. Residents said she and her child lived at the flat with the suspect.

One neighbour, Grant Christy, told the Press Association he witnessed the police breaking into the building, taking a couple into custody and leading a young child from the house. Describing the raid, he said: “At six they smashed the door down, woke me up immediately, obviously.

“Initially I just heard the banging. Sounded like someone trying to kick the door in.”

He added: “Then I heard the police shouting ‘Put your hands up, turn around’, all that sort of thing and then it went quiet.”

Police said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the killing.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information and have asked anyone who was on the train at the time, or who has dash-cam footage of the Clandon area after 1pm on 4 January, to contact them.

Source link